Popular Posts

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fig Jam and Breakfast Cakes

What an awesome combination!

Super easy and delicious fig jam -- the ginger flavor is strong, so use less unless you're a huge fan (like me). Mix all ingredients in a crockpot or slow cooker. I cooked the jam for five hours on low, and it turned out perfectly!



  • 2 lbs figs (peeled and chopped)
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tbs candied ginger
  • 1 lemon, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 1/2 cup water
I made the Salvadoran Breakfast Cakes again, with a few modifications. I split the batter in half and made two batched. In the "sweet" version, I used lowfat yogurt instead of sour cream and sheep's milk pecorino instead of cotija cheese. For the "savory" version, I used the same ingredients but added smoked maple cheddar (about 2 tbs), chopped chives (about 1 tbs), and sauteed onions (1/8 of a white onion), and habanero salt (1 tsp). The results were awesome, and the fig jam was delicious on both varieties.



Til soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment